Latest update. July Editorial: Funding the NHS. And how the Tories have always hated it.
From May 2018: Parliamentary Notes and Notes on the News: Policeless policing?, Windrush Generation – “We Don’t Take Truth for an Answer”, Is This the Facebook that Shipped A Thousand Lies?, From Technocrat to Cashocrats, China – Trade Insults, Not Goods?, Snippets, Korea, Wasteful Wars, As Honest as a Fox.
Also everything for July 2017: Editorial: They’re All Corbynites Now!; Parliament And World War One: Ireland, Greece and Enemy Propaganda; Froggy; Notes on the News; Grenfell Tower; Diary of a Corbyn foot soldier (No 12); Parliamentary Notes; Listening to Italy; Poems: Grenfell Tower, Climbing The Money Tree, Not Another Burden. Also available as a PDF, Labour Affairs 279 – July / August 2017
Latest update. June Editorial: The Resignation of Ken Livingstone.
From April 2018: News from France (Froggy), and Parliamentary Notes.
Also Notes on the News: Time On Our Side, You Don’t Need a Gay Indian-Irishman To Know Which Way the Wind Blows, Ambiguous Leftism in the Czech Republic, More Old Hatreds Revive, Jews, Seals and Antisemites, Gaddafi the Second?, Don’t worry, be Finland, Money Fit for Crooks, Remembering Stephen Hawking.
Also everything for June 2017: Editorial: Corbyn’s Comeback; Parliament And World War One; Froggy; Notes on the News; Diary of a Corbyn foot soldier (No 11); Corbyn’s speech on Foreign Policy; David Morrison on Corbyn and Foreign Policy; Awed by Amazing Twentieth; Listening to Italy; Poems: A New Low, Taking A Rise Out Of Him, The Sacrificial. Also available as a PDF, Labour Affairs 278 – June 2017
Problems 29: Jews as ‘Collateral Damage’ in the Fall of the British Empire. Part One: Britain’s Exterminating Sea Empire
No proper understanding of either Zionism or anti-Semitism is possible if you think of these as unique beliefs arising for baffling reasons. It is wrong to suppose that either are due to some Jewish uniqueness. To me, it has always seemed obvious that these were typical instances of global human behaviour. Desires that often run into foolishness, wickedness and ‘ethnic cleansing’.
Racism isn’t necessarily anti-Jewish, and nor is Fascism. The roots lie in the wrong turning that the expanding British Empire took in the early 19th century. For while Racism is an older sentiment that Universalism, the remarkable growth of White Racism in the 19th century was led and encouraged by the British Empire.
In the 1920s and 1930s, all Jews including Zionists were caught up in a disaster caused by the decline of the British Empire. Caused also by the USA’s irresponsible detachment and Hitler’s foolish haste in undermining British hegemony in Europe.
Also available as a PDF, Problems 29 – Genocide in the British Empire
Problems 32: The October Revolution, 100 Years On
- A World Without Bolsheviks? by Gwydion M Williams
- What would our world be like if the Bolsheviks had not taken power?
- The Russian Revolution, by Brendan Clifford
- The Tsarist state had broken down. A landlord restoration was being prepared regardless of what Lenin had done.
- The Bolsheviks and Orthodox Christianity by Peter Brooke
- How the Bolsheviks tried variously to suppress, discourage or incorporate Russia’s traditional religion
To Subscribe, go to the Athol Books Webpage.
Problems 28: Asocialism: Part One; The Muon and the Green Great Dragon.
- Why Muons were real, even when no one had believed they should exist. Or could explain why they did exist.
- Why atoms are not really ‘a hole in a hole’.
- Why any native English speaker would know that a ‘green great dragon’ was bad English, but would be unlikely to know why.
- How the question ‘why’ is very different for human matters and for the physical universe.
- How religions came in waves of ideas, and gave us ways to organise our thinking that had not existed before.
- How religions show their human origin, by always supposing that it was a universe made as a dwelling for humans and similar creatures
Also available as a PDF, Problems 28 – The Muon and the Green Great Dragon