Editorials from Labour Affairs

Covering the previous year. Older editorials are part of Past Issues.

Anger And Betrayal: The New Politics.  May 2019.
Talks between Conservative and Labour representatives have been held almost continuously since early April, but there is still no sign of a compromise agreement.
The Tory/DUP coalition can stay in power until June 2021. If they get over Brexit, they would then unite over the same bad policies they’ve followed since Thatcher.

The Last Throw Of The Dice?  April 2019.
On 15 February 2003 more than a million people marched in London against the UK’s participation in the invasion of Iraq. Prime Minister Blair ignored them.
On 23 March 2019 a similar number of people walked from Park Lane in London to the Palace of Westminster in support of a second referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union (EU). Prime Minister May indicated that their action would have no effect on the decision to leave the EU, made in the referendum of 23 June 2016. She is not on their side.

Paper TIGers.  March 2019
The eight Labour MPs who resigned from the party last month, and formed themselves into The Independent Group, hope to wreck Labour’s chances of winning the next general election.  They want to prevent anything being done about the unfair accumulation of wealth and the squeezing of the needy.

Once More Unto Brussels.  February 2019
May is engaging with MPs of all parties to reach an agreement she can take back to Brussels and secure a deal that parliament can support; a Plan B. But this appears to be a forlorn task as EU negotiators have made it clear that no significant changes can be made to her deal.

Back To The EU Cap In Hand.  December 2018
Facing defeat, Theresa May pulled the plug at the eleventh hour on MPs meaningful vote on her Brexit deal. After her ‘successful’ negotiations with the EU, the Prime Minister insisted repeatedly that the deal she had brought to the House of Commons was the best deal for the whole of the UK. Failure to support it would mean a no deal or no Brexit.

The Troublesome 5%.  November 2018.
Theresa May told MPs that 95% of the withdrawal agreement had been settled. That may be so, although she wasn’t wholly forthcoming about what has actually been agreed. The problem is the remaining 5%, which she admitted is largely the thorny problem of the Irish border.

Catching the Mood of the Nation.  October 2018.
Labour’s Liverpool conference was a huge success.  Jeremy Corbyn was accepted even by his critics as a credible Prime Minister.
Brexit remains a problem.

Democratic Reforms.  September 2018.
Should the leaders of Labour council groups to be elected by the party membership?
And what’s happening with direct elections for the national leader?

Funding the NHS.  July / August 2018.
The Tories were against the National Health Service when it was set up in 1948.  They have repeatedly denied it the funds it needed.  But now they find the ‘Magic Money Tree’ that they had said did not exist.

The Resignation of Ken Livingstone.  June 2018.
None of Livingstone’s Labour critics can match his record as a politician. Over more than 35 years he was largely successful in changing the political climate within Labour and improving the lives of millions of Londoners.

Labour And Antisemitism.  May 2018.
Antisemitism is being used by the right wing within the Parliamentary Labour Party to undermine Corbyn, while the Tories shelter behind the antisemitism allegations in order to cover up their Brexit divisions and their abysmal social policies which are having such a devastating effect on hundreds of thousands of families. In their eagerness to attack Corbyn at every opportunity, the Labour oppositionists and the Tories make ideal bedfellows.

What Should Labour’s Foreign Policy Be? – 2nd Editorial

Older editorials and other articles on the [Past Issues] page.  Also as PDFs .

To Subscribe, go to the Athol Books Webpage


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s