ANOTHER FINE MESS
- How did the Labour Party
- get itself into this mess,
- asks the BBC presenter?
- Have a guess:
- The State’s dark forces,
- its mentor?
- We’re all anti-Semitic now,
- except the plotters
- who started this row?
WJ Haire. 5th September, 2018
- Maybe you oldsters remember
- the old butchers shop,
- the cow’s carcass on a hook
- before the dismember.
- The naked bunnies on a slab,
- the sheep sans woolly coat,
- the disembowelled pig without a grunt,
- razor-sharp knives, the butcher white-clad.
- Congealed blood- soaked sawdust in our stare,
- a sense of war among the cadavers,
- though we weren’t witnesses to this violence,
- moos, squeals, bleats, I didn’t hear, can I care.
- So to Whitehall, the Cenotaph, again this year.
- all supermarket and with the same cadavers
- but not in animal form because of the cling-film.
- The freezing of emotions, an icy tear.
WJ Haire. 25th September, 2018.
DEAR MRS MERKEL
- Remember when I beat you up
- 100 years ago?
- Don’t blame me,
- your shop was doing better than mine.
- The next minute you’d be moving into my house
- with Krupp.
- Turning on me like that made you a Hun,
- only for my cousin across the Atlantic
- you might have won.
- So I still think I was right.
- With our one million dead how could
- I say I was wrong in that fight.
- But despite all of this
- I’m inviting you to the Cenotaph.
- It’s not remorse,
- I’m still remembering how I beat you up.
- Any other explanation would be daft.
WJ Haire. 25th September, 2018