Newly available on-line:
Problems 22 – China’s Blue Republic, 1912-49 . Also Stalin: Paradoxes of Power.
- China’s ‘Blue Republic’ lasted from 1912 to 1949, and achieved nothing. It achieved nothing because it was trying to erect a copy of the complex political structures of the USA or Western Europe on top of a society that had very different value. And doing it with a false understanding of the intricate political processes that had occurred there.
- Also available as a PDF, Problems 22_China’s Blue Republic
Also newly published, available for now as print-only:
Problems 26 – Smedley: an American Woman Who Loved China’s Red Army (sample)
- How Agnes Smedley found a life’s purpose in China
- Her connection with super-spy Richard Sorge
- Her account of the little-known Red Areas in South China
- The surprising neglect of her work by later writers
- How she told a genuinely unknown and potentially damaging story about Mao
- The cowboy scholarship of ‘Wild Swan’ Chang and ‘Doc’ Halliday.
- Her account of the ‘A.B. Group’, an early split within the Red Army
- The Chinese Social Democrats’ efforts to created a functional Third Force